Natural Dog Blog
Natural, healthy dog tips and remedies without harmful chemicals...
WINTER TIPS FOR OUR DOGS
Bowen Therapy can help to keep your doggy companion comfortable and more mobile throughout his golden years. It’s also a great help in relieving and reducing pain from arthritis and old injuries and it can even help our pets recover more quickly from surgery or illness.
Simple ideas for keeping our dogs healthy and comfortable during the cold winter months!
- Keep them active. If not daily, at least 4 times per week. A short walk wearing a warm coat can help keep your older dog active and mobile during the colder months. As the saying goes - Use it or lose it!
- Keep them warm. Cold weather makes our older dogs sore and achy, especially if arthritis is taking hold as they age. Keep their old bones and joints warm with a coat and a padded bed in a warm spot away from draughts and not on cold floor tiles. There are some great self warming, orthopedic beds available or dog safe heating pads.
- If possible keep them inside and keep the house reasonably warm for them. This is especially true for our short coated breeds but if they absolutely have to be outside while you’re away, make sure that they have a warm kennel with lots of warm blankets to snuggle into away from the cold. A good idea to keep the cold wind out of the kennel is to fix a sack or piece of thick rubber split in the middle over the entrance. ~Dogs can still go in but it keeps the cold wind and draughts out.
- Glucosamine Chondroitin added to food can help keep joints lubricated and prevent them from becoming stiff and sore.
- Organic Turmeric made into a Golden paste added into their food also helps keep inflammation down, for us as well as our fur-kids! I mix GOLDEN PASTE into natural or greek yoghurt before adding it to my dogs dinner. Get the easy recipe here HERE
- Organic Hemp Seed Oil is a great source of omegas to assist with inflammation, skin and coats. Depending on the size of the dog you can add 1/4 tsp - 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp daily to meals or give it 3 times per week if you prefer
- As your dog’s activity levels decrease due to the colder weather don’t forget to decrease his food as well to avoid making him overweight which will add extra strain on his joints.
If it is too cold for you to be outside without a coat then it is also too cold for your dog to be out in the cold weather. If he is shivering, acting anxious or trying to find warm places to snuggle into then it is time to bring him inside.
Bowen Therapy promotes general health and well being and helps our senior dogs with any aches and stiffness they may have and also assists with age related degeneration and so it is especially beneficial for them during the cold winter months to help keep them comfortable and flexible.
Message us at Curly Tails Bowen if you’d like to find out more or to see if Bowen Therapy could help your pet. Email: email@example.com
by Helen Veless at Curly Tails Bowen and Animal Therapies
Curly Tails Bowen Therapy - www.curlytailsbowen.com.au
More Natural Healthy Dog Tips
Golden Paste Recipe
These are things that we have used on our own dogs with great results.
A shout out to our own beautiful dogs, past and present for co-operating and for being our testers! We would never recommend anything that we hadn't successfully tried ourselves first.